Walking With America Crew Newsletter
Georgia, Here We Come!
Friday, May 4th
Announcements / Initiatives
- Team Uniforms—Over the next week, we’ll be exploring creative ways to communicate WWA via a new “team uniform” for Sheryl, Ruben, and Xavier. Keep an eye out on our social media pages (and, of course, next week’s newsletter) for some fresh, fun yellow gear!
- Partnerships —Theramu, Sprouts Farmers Market
- Exploring Partnerships—Sensi Magazine, KEEN, RDKL, and Healthier Jupiter
- Introducing “Chris”— In our “On the Road” section, we’ll have a new “team member” and an exciting new element of WWA to introduce you to!
- Mail Chimp—We are in the process of moving to Mail Chimp to manage newsletters and other communication initiatives. This means that anyone will be able to subscribe to the newsletter via the website, which will make life much easier for all! We hope to have this up and running next week.
- 10 % Done—With April behind us, we have officially completed 10% of our journey! Congratulations to Sheryl, Ruben, Xavier, and the entire WWA team–and as always, a sincere and hearty thank you for your continued support and efforts in helping to spread happiness, health, and community across America!
- Thank You, Gary Messmore!—As if to prove that the universe works in mysterious ways, I had just sat down on the beach to meditate over what our next move would be, when suddenly, a text from Gary comes through! He generously offered us his two-bedroom condo in St. Augustine for us to rest, recharge, and stock up. A huge THANK YOU to Gary for his hospitality and generosity—and of course, to the universe for sending help when we truly needed it.
- Jacksonville, FL – Saturday, May 5th
- Macon, GA – TBD
- Atlanta, GA – TBD
On the Road with Sheryl, Ruben, and Xavier
We are thrilled to announce that our trusted friend, Bobbie the Stroller, will be getting a new companion—Chris the Van! Ruben is in the midst of a 30+ hour drive from California to Jacksonville (what a champion) so that we can have a mobile home base to keep all of our gear, including camping supplies, snacks, extra clothing.
Most importantly, the van will serve as a quick first-aid station for what we like to lovingly call our “Theramu Relief Team,” allowing us to manage the pain and health risks of walking 20 miles a day in a safe, natural, and fast-acting manner with CBD medicinal products.
Each day, we’ll have a driver (Ruben or Xavier, depending on who wins Rock- Paper-Scissors) drive the WWA van ahead 5 miles, bike back, and walk the rest of the way back up to the van.
Ultimately, the van will be a great way to provide a safe, comfortable spot to rest, spend the night, store our gear, and even get a quick respite from the blazing Southern sun. It’s also going to be a wonderful way to increase our visibility and promote WWA, as we have ordered custom decals for the sides!
Keep an eye out on the blog and for next week’s newsletter, where we will officially unveil our new addition to the WWA team!
Brief Team Update
- Roxann – Facilitating crew and providing PA services for Sheryl
- Mike – 25 sponsors at $2,500
- Caitlin – Newsletters, blog content, phone interviews, email support
- Steve & Todd – Uploading videos to YouTube, brand messaging/posts on Instagram and Facebook, tracking SEO progress
- Kelley – Updating XL spreadsheet (Florida dates and locations)
- Nicole – Setting up Mail Chimp, route updates/coordination
Things to Focus On
One of our primary focus points over the next few weeks will be creating an effective marketing strategy. This includes exploring how team uniforms can better communicate the WWA mission, solidifying processes for reaching out to local news media, planning events, exploring local community calendars, and more.
- SOCIAL MEDIA
Once again, a HUGE thank you to everyone who has taken the time to like or share our social media posts! This is a huge piece of what will truly push Walking With America to the top, and we appreciate everyone’s continued efforts to keep the national conversation going about living a healthy, happy lifestyle. Keep sharing and liking WWA on Instagram and Facebook!
- SPONSORS & PARTNERSHIPS
We are making wonderful progress on finding and exploring creative partners for WWA! Let’s keep this going– just a reminder to keep your ears and eyes open for any brand or company that could potentially be a great match for Walking With America (keep these values in mind: happiness, physical and mental health, exercise, community, and natural products).
Message From Sheryl – Highlight of the Week
My Dearest Walker Friends, as our time in Florida inches towards a close and the edge of Georgia approaches the horizon, I want to share some thoughts that might ring true in your lives, too.
The joy of this journey is that everything is unexpected. On the road, we have the freedom to be spontaneous— nothing is set in stone. For example, when I began this epic walk across America, I had no way of knowing that I would be joined by two full-time walking partners and friends! One month in, I have also learned that you never know how long your shoes might last, how many daily miles you can put behind you, where you will sleep, when the next bathroom break will come, or how many rest days you may have to force yourself to take.
Today, life is more unpredictable than ever—but it is also more liberating than I could have ever imagined. If any of this speaks to you, and there is something on your heart that you need to do, get a plan—take one step a day—start small!
I’ll be the first to admit that convincing my family that this was a good idea was no easy task. Let’s face it, this is CRAZY, even for the most adventurous of spirits! But, it’s also a labor of love, and as much as my family may have feared the worst, today they are my biggest sources of love, support, and help.
You may find that your own epic journey sounds crazy, too—but don’t forget, these journeys are about love, connection, growth, and happiness. Love is huge. Love yourself enough to give yourself permission to go.
Thank You, WWA Crew!
As I reflect on our progress and breathe a sigh of relief that “April Agony” has officially passed (don’t worry, I’ve got plenty more on that later), I cannot help but take a moment and express my appreciation for all of the support, love, family, and friendship that has carried me safely and happily here.
Thank you to everyone who has been calling emailing, and texting to check up on me, make sure that I am safe, and most importantly, to share with me their very own WALKING wins and triumphs!
I love hearing you tell me that you left your car keys on the table and walked to the dentist instead, that you took the scenic route around the park, or that you woke up early on Saturday just to get a few steps in as I was walking, too.
You are all making an incredible difference– and not just in your own lives, but in the lives of those you pass along the way, and certainly in mine.
THANK YOU– Even at 10% completed, the words aren’t enough! It is my greatest joy to be lucky enough to share this journey with you, and to be privileged enough to open a window into your own personal journeys.
Saturday Mornings – Walk With Me!
Because Walking With America seeks to help people create happier, healthier lives, part of our initiative is making walking a part of our regular routine. In the true Walking With America spirit, I want to remind you that you are all invited to join me me in my weekly Saturday morning walk!
#walkwithme as a way to shake off the last remnants of sleep, after your first cup of coffee, when the dog starts whining, or whenever works best for your schedule! Our ultimate goal is to get everyone in the nation walking together and committed to their health and happiness.
No matter when you walk, don’t forget to wear yellow and to invite a friend or family member to join you! I can’t wait to hear your stories, share in your successes, and see your Saturday morning photos and videos using the social media links below!
Walking With America (WWA) is Sheryl Lynn’s six-month mission of walking from Key West, FL to San Francisco, CA, all while encouraging others to take their health and happiness into their own hands.
At its core, WWA is about creating healthier, happier individuals through personal accountability, empowerment, and community. Sheryl’s feel-good community of walkers offers a message of support and a call to action, unlocking health and happiness one step at a time–and even better, sharing it with those around you.
My name is Sheryl Lynn, and I invite you all to #walkwithme–become a part of the movement and contribute an integral piece of my ultimate vision: to walk together, share a moment of our lives, and come to a happier, healthier understanding of our world.